Thursday, November 11, 2010

Smell me, Kiss me

'Their (Egyptians) words for 'kiss' and 'smell' are the same' . Encyclopaedia of relationships across the lifespan, Jeffrey S. Turner

In The Book of General Ignorance, John Lloyd and John Mitchinson say that some Eskimos**** have same word for 'smell' and 'kiss'.

And 'In some tribal cultures the "equivalent for our 'kiss me' is 'smell me.'' Wikipedia, Kiss

I just love that!

And further. But there have been already many online talks about pheromones, smell and love so I won't bring this again. (a short report on some scientific research here)

****I use the word Eskimos to name the 'indigenous peoples who have traditionally inhabited the circumpolar region from eastern Siberia (Russia), across Alaska (United States), Canada, and Greenland.' There is no pejorative conotations. I know that in North America is preffered instead Inuit. Specifically, Inuits are only a group of the Eskimos population, so I chose to use Eskimos since I do not have clear knowledge of what group of Eskimo use same word for smell and kiss.

4 comments:

  1. So Wikipedia tells me that nose-kissing isn't kissing at all, bit a way of greeting. Shame! I like to nose-kiss, purely as a display of affection.

    Thank you for pointing me to a lot of interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, darling!
    Complicated, isn't it? Depends what we mean by kiss. We know kissing mostly as the sexual foreplay. While in the some cultures even mouth kissing means a way of greeting (look at russian presidents :-)).
    For me sniffing somebody (:-)) is often a way of knowing that person in an irational way, coming closer. Hey, this could be just the start for a long talk and a mighty lot of research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listed here you'll learn it is important, them offers the link in an helpful webpage: Steel Bite pro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jannatul Firdous is a classic indian fragrance next to Majmua. It is made from various aromatic compounds it features a citrus top note to create a refreshing and clean Floral Scent Perfume. Literally translated it means garden of paradise. Parfum pas cher


    ReplyDelete